Indiana University


Management Services

Home   »  Travel News

Travel News

The headline: Travel on a close-up of a newspaper

Electronic Receipt Submission

Travel documents can now be scanned and sent directly to OnBase as email attachments to expedite trip reimbursement processing. For full details, NEW Electronic Receipt Submission.

Activate Your Bloomington Motor Pool Profile

Bloomington Motor Pool will implement a new reservation system on November 1. All Bloomington based travelers and arrangers are encouraged to establish an active system profile (PDF) now to facilitate future reservations.

New Travel Policies

Travel Approval Signature – Current travel reimbursement request forms require the fiscal officer’s signature as well as the traveler’s signature. When the fiscal officer is also the traveler, an additional approval signature is required to provide the appropriate seperation of duties.

Exception to Policy Form – To reduce the possibility of fraud or erroneous charges to the University, an Exception to Policy form is required for any unusual reimbursement. In the past, Travel Management Services has accepted various forms of written communication when a deviation from standard travel policies occurred. However, for audit compliance, an Exception to Policy form must be submitted for any and all “exception” circumstances. For instance, if the traveler is claiming per diem and they do not have an original lodging receipt because the lodging was paid by an outside source, an Exception to Policy form is required explaining that the hotel was paid by an external company and therefore the traveler does not have an original lodging receipt.

Sensitive Data – In accordance with Indiana University best practices and Indiana State law, sensitive data should not be stored in Travel Management Services records. Sensitive data includes (but is not limited to) social security number, full credit card number, bank account number, copy of a personal check including bank routing and account number, and a copy of a credit card (front and/or back). Social Security numbers should never be included on any documents submitted to Travel Management Services (W9’s for non-employee reimbursements should be submitted directly to FMS Tax). Other sensitive data, such as credit card and bank account numbers, should be blacked out before submitting the information to Travel Management Services.


Common Travel Reimbursement Mistakes

The following is a list of common mistakes associated with travel reimbursements. Avoiding these issues will help to ensure that reimbursements are being processed as quickly and efficiently as possible:

  • Purpose section not completed – The full purpose of the trip is an audit requirement (acronyms are not accepted). If the purpose is research, the subject matter of the research must be included.
  • Personal time section not completed – Either the yes or no option must be checked. If personal time was taken during the trip, the dates of personal time are required.
  • Lodging claims containing incidental expenses – Only the room and tax expense should be claimed under "Lodging". Parking & internet charges are allowable travel expenses. However, in order to be reimbursed for these expenses, they must be claimed under the appropriate expense category: Parking should be claimed as "Parking" and internet should be claimed as "Other" on the Travel@IU document.
  • Lodging receipt not itemized – Original, itemized lodging receipt containing the name of the payee, address of the hotel, number of persons in the room, daily charges, and dates of stay is required for reimbursement.
  • Shared lodging expenses – If a traveler is claiming lodging expense for another traveler (e.g. if two travelers share a hotel room or if a traveler pays for a separate room for another traveler), the trip number and name of the person for whom the lodging was paid must be documented on either the receipt or the reimbursement request form. If the lodging receipt lists more than one person in the room and the additional person(s) was personal in nature, the traveler must state the single room rate on the receipt.
  • No proof of lodging for per diem claims – If a traveler stays at a private residence in lieu of a hotel, the name, phone number and address of the person with whom the traveler stayed must be documented in the Exception to Policy field of the Lodging expense section on the Travel@IU document. If a traveler shared a hotel room with another IU traveler and the other traveler paid for the lodging expense, a copy of the lodging receipt including the name and trip number of the person who paid must accompany the reimbursement request.
  • A pre-calculated estimate submitted in lieu of a final rental car receipt – A final itemized receipt is required for rental car reimbursement. The rental car agreement containing the pre-calculated estimate is not accepted.
  • Missing confirmation – When the IU program is used to charge lodging expense to a university account, the email confirmation must be submitted along with the reimbursement request form.

Important Reminders

  • Charging Expenses to an IU Account – When charging expenses to a University account for airfare, hotel or rental car, remember to submit the traveler's Department Travel Authorization form before making reservations through IU's online programs
  • Paying for Another Traveler's Expenses – It is against University regulations for travelers to pay for another's travel expenses (with the exception of lodging expense). Travelers should always call Travel Management Services prior to making other arrangements when they are having difficulty funding their trip. Please keep in mind that the University has several programs in place to charge airfare, lodging and registration expense to a departmental account.
    » More information regarding these programs

TSA Secure Flight Program

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is in the process of implementing a program known as Secure Flight. The purpose of the program is to enhance the security of domestic and international commercial air travel through the pre-screening of passenger information against federal government watch lists. For effective screening, TSA will begin collecting the traveler's full name (including middle name), gender and date of birth from travel agencies and airlines.

The following deadlines are set by the TSA for collecting passenger information:

  • By August 15, 2009, all airlines and their travel agencies must have the ability to collect, store, gather, and send passenger information for domestic flights to the TSA.
  • By October 31, 2009, this ability is required for international flights.
  • Passenger information must be transmitted at least 72 hours prior to scheduled flight departure time. If a reservation is made within 72 hours of flight departure time, the passenger information will be transmitted at the same time the reservation is made.

Some IU designated travel agencies have begun collecting the traveler's full name, gender and date of birth. When using a designated travel agency to make flight reservations, please be prepared to provide this information.

Orbitz for Business is in the process of updating the profile fields on their site to allow for the TSA initiative. The expected date for the implementation of these changes is June 1, 2009. After May 30, travelers will need to update their profile information to include their full name, gender and date of birth for compliance with the TSA Secure Flight Program.

Reservation information for flights reserved prior to May 1, 2009 will be "grandfathered" and are not expected to contain the full name, gender and birth date of the traveler.

Travel Management Services will continue to monitor this program and will advise travelers of updates and/or changes as they become available.


Corporate Travel Credit Card Switch to American Express

New American Express Corporate cards will be issued starting March 3, 2009. If you currently have a Corporate IU travel card and have used the card for purchases at some point within the past 12 months, you will be issued a new credit card with a new number. The current GE Corporate credit cards will remain active until March 28, 2009. After this date, you will no longer be able to make purchases using the GE credit card. When you receive your new American Express credit card, please make sure to activate the card and cut up your GE credit card. For more information, please call 812-855-2873 or email your questions to


Delta and Northwest Airlines Merger

With the merger of Delta and Northwest Airlines, greater discount opportunities will be offered to IU travelers. Current Delta discounts can now be applied to Northwest flights and vice versa. Additionally, transatlantic offerings are expanding, increasing the number of occasions for you to utilize corporate discounts and opportunities to receive SkyMiles and WorldPerks credit and benefits on even more flights.


ECO a Valuable Resource for Overseas Travelers — Beware of Export Control Laws

Are you planning to travel abroad in the near future? Do you plan to take your University issued laptop computer, digital storage device or any encryption products with you? Export control laws may require you to obtain a license or license exception under the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) prior to taking information stored on these devices or the devices themselves overseas. Export controls are laws that prohibit the unlicensed export of certain items or technologies for reasons of national security and/or protection of trade. Violation of these laws and regulations may result in substantial fines and possible prison time.

Do not be alarmed! The IU Bloomington and Indianapolis Export Controls Offices (ECO) are here to help. The ECO can help determine if your University issued electronic components require a license prior to an international departure. Tips for international travel, including a list of sanctioned and restricted parties and entities with whom IU is prohibited by federal law from doing business with, are also available through the ECO. Contact the ECO at with any questions concerning your international travel and/or export controls.


Home | Traveling | Discounts | Policies | Resources | About | Contact

Travel Management Services

400 East 7th Street Poplars 613 Bloomington, Indiana 47405

Phone: 812.855.2873 · Fax: 812.855.8866