- Obtain approval to travel from the fiscal officer or Department Chair
- Determine method of travel (personal car, rental car, etc)
- You may need to create the trip in advance in the Travel@IU system, as described in the Instate Prepayment Tutorial. This is necessary if you plan to:
- Schedule your Enterprise Campus Rental (if applicable). Begin by clicking the Enterprise Campus Rental link provided at the bottom of your completed trip document in Travel@IU. Details are provided in the Enterprise Campus Rental section of this site.
- 5. Schedule lodging reservations (if applicable). If using the IU Hotels.com program, obtain the Trip Number from the Travel@IU system. If the number has not yet appeared, you may contact Travel Management Services. For instructions see How to Use Hotels.com.
- Obtain all original receipts while traveling
- Obtain approval to travel from the Fiscal Officer or Department Chair.
- Determine method of travel (air, personal car, rental car, method of travel to the airport, etc).
- Create a new trip in the Travel@IU. For instructions on creating a new trip, view the Out-of-State Authorization Tutorial. If any prepayments are required, be sure to specify the necessary details while creating the trip.
- If you do request a registration or one-night lodging deposit prepayment, provide supporting documentation to Travel Management Services. This is required before any prepayment checks can be processed.
- When the authorization document is approved, a Trip Number appears on the traveler's Travel Activity page in the Travel@IU system. You can use this number to make the necessary reservations for this trip.
- If traveling outside of the US, obtain appropriate travel documents (passport, visa, etc) with Passport Services.
- Obtain all original receipts while traveling.
- Create a Disbursement Voucher (DV) in KFS in the non-employee's name and save it to your Inbox. This generates a DV number that you will need to make travel arrangements for the non-employee if an IU account is funding the trip
- Make flight reservation (if applicable). To charge airfare expense to a departmental account, you must make arrangements through a Designated Travel Agency or online through Oribtz for Business using the DV number assigned to the non-employee
- Schedule transportation from the airport (if applicable). See Traveling by Car for instructions on scheduling limo services.
- Make hotel reservations through IU Hotels.com or use a hotel through which IU has a direct billing process set up. View a list of hotels that participate in the direct billing process (PDF).
- The traveler must sign the Payee Certification Document (PDF) or the coversheet of the DV
- The traveler must complete a W9 form. Contact FMS Tax to see if other tax forms are required
- Obtain original travel receipts from the traveler