Death of Spouse or Child
Following the death of a spouse or child, contact University Human Resources at 812-856-4459 for assistance in filing life insurance and/or Personal Accident Insurance claims.
Depending on whether the deceased family member was covered under your IU benefit plans, or you were covered on your deceased spouse's employer plans, you may make corresponding changes to IU benefit plans. You must make the change within 30 days of the date of death. A copy of the death certificate will be required.
To make changes to any of the plans listed immediately below, you will need to request a Life Events change through the Employee Center and complete online enrollment of your changes once your request is approved by HR. You must make the change within 30 days.
- Enroll in a dental plan if you were covered under a deceased spouse’s employer plan.
- Add a child to your dental plan if covered under the deceased spouse's employer plan.
- Remove the deceased family member from your IU dental plan.
- Enroll in a medical plan if you were covered under a deceased spouse’s employer plan.
- Add a child to your medical plan if covered under the deceased spouse's employer plan.
- Remove the deceased family member from your IU medical plan.
- Add or drop coverage.
- Increase or decrease the coverage level.
- Decrease election to account for expenses of deceased family member.
- Decrease or increase election if consistent with change.
(Consistency rule is satisfied if change corresponds with Family Status Change that affects either eligibility for coverage under Plan or eligibility of expenses under applicable IRS regulations.)
You may also want to consider making changes to the plans listed below. Such changes do not require a Family Status Change and can be done at any time.
- For changes to marital status, name, address and emergency contact.
- Change the beneficiaries on your base retirement and life insurance, as well as any other supplemental plans.
IU Tax Deferred Account (formerly Tax Deferred Annuity Plan)
- Begin or stop IU Tax Deferred Account.
- Begin or stop IU 457(b) Retirement Plan account.