University Human Resources
Same-sex Domestic Partners
See also: Domestic Partner Benefits
To enroll a domestic partner in IU benefit plans, you must first register the partnership. Allowed and required changes correspond to those described for a spouse under Marriage and Divorce/legal separation. Termination of a domestic partnership makes a partner and his or her child ineligible for benefits.
To make changes to any of the plans listed immediately below, you will need to request a Family Status Change through the Employee Center and complete online enrollment of your changes once your request is approved by HR. You must make the change within 30 days.
- For IRS-qualified dependents only.
You may also want to consider making changes to the plans listed below. Such changes do not require the submission of a Family Status Change and can be done at any time.
- Change the beneficiaries on your base retirement and life insurance, as well as any other supplemental plans.
IU Tuition Benefit (formerly Fee Courtesy)
- Domestic partners and their children are eligible for the Tuition Benefit.
- For changes to marital status, name, address and emergency
- Print the Affidavit of Domestic Partnership (PDF).
- Consult an attorney and tax advisor concerning any legal or tax obligations that may be created by the affidavit.
- Submit the affidavit and required supporting documentation to University Human Resource Services (Attention: COBRA Specialist, Poplars E165, Bloomington) for review.
A copy of the approved affidavit will be returned to you.
To terminate your registration of a same-sex domestic partnership:
- Complete the Termination of Domestic Partnership (PDF) form.
- Return the form to University Human Resource Services (Attention: COBRA Specialist, Poplars E165, Bloomington) within 30 days of the dissolution.
- Read the section, Tax Information on the University Human Resource Services Web site. This is important because both the university's and employee's cost of providing domestic partner benefits is considered
- If a domestic partner and/or a domestic partner's children are IRS-defined tax dependents of the employee, the employee should submit the Certification of Tax-Qualified Dependents (PDF) form.
- Return the form to University Human Resource Services (Attention: COBRA Specialist, Poplars E165, Bloomington).