Indiana University Indiana University

A-Z Index Forms Contact Us
UHRSskip navigation
BenefitsClassification & SalaryEmployee RelationsEmploymentHR SystemsOrg DevelopmentPoliciesWorkers' Comp
Indiana University

University Human Resources

Home > Benefits > Health Savings Account > HSA Tax Resources & Info

Health Savings Account Tax Resources and Information

As part of the federal income tax return, HSA participants will need to include IRS Form 8889: Health Savings Account to report HSA contributions ( those made by the employee and IU) and any distributions from the Health Savings Account (HSA). This form must be filed with Form 1040 or Form 1040 NR. 

Information needed to complete the HSA section of the 2012 tax return:

* This includes all contributions made during calendar year 2012 (both for 2012 and for 2011) and contributions made in 2013 designated for 2012. Contribution details can be viewed under the Transactions tab, within the YTD Tax Year Summary link. Form 5498 (contributions) will not be available until late May 2013. 

Access the ‘Instructions for Form 8889’ from the secure HSA website (, or on the IRS website at  Form 1099-SA (Distributions) will be sent to mailing address on file with Chase Bank around mid- to late January.  2012 contribution details can be viewed on, under the Transactions tab, within the YTD Tax Year Summary link.  Form 5498 (contributions) will not be available until late May 2013.

Participants should keep all receipts and records for qualified health expenses paid with HSA fund for their own records. These do not need to be sent to Chase or with the tax return.

For additional information on qualified health expenses, refer to IRS Publication 502 “Medical and Dental Expenses” or IRS Publication 969 “Health Savings Accounts and Other Tax-Favored Health Plans” at

Common questions about the forms

Form 8889

Q. What information do I put in line 2 of Form 8889?

A. Line 2 is where you record any contributions made to your HSA account outside of payroll contributions.  Example:  transfer funds from a personal bank account to your HSA.

Q. What information do I put in line 9 of Form 8889?

A. Line 9 is where you record any contributions made to your HSA account via payroll contributions.  This information can be found on your W-2, box 12, code W.  This figure will include both the amount that IU contributed to your HSA and the amount you contributed to your HSA through payroll deductions.

Form W-2

Q. Where can I find the HSA contribution information?

A. Box 12, Code W.  This code, labeled Employer Contributions (used in line 9 of Form 8889) includes both IU’s contribution to your account as well as your own contributions through payroll deductions.

Form 1099-SA

Q. What is included in Box 1?

A. Box 1 of the 1099-SA reports the total distributions made from your HSA in 2012.  Distributions include any purchase or withdrawal using HSA funds.  It also includes cash withdrawals at ATMs.  If any excess contributions and associated earnings were distributed, they are also included.

Q. What is the distribution code?

A. The distribution code represents the particular type of distribution made from the HSA.  The most common distribution code is “1”.  This is a normal distribution.  A normal distribution means that the funds were withdrawn with the debit card, checks or on-line bill payment.  Other codes are for specific types of distributions.  These would include a distribution for an excess contribution or a distribution to a beneficiary in the event of a death or disability.  A complete list is in the bottom half of your Form 1099-SA.

Q. What is included in Box 2? 

A. Box 2 of Form 1099-SA reports any earnings on excess contributions. This box includes any excess contributions you withdrew from your account Also included are interest or investment earnings that are attributable to the funds that were withdrawn.

Available Resources


For advice about tax matters please consult a personal tax advisor. 
The IRS help line is 800-Tax-1040 (1-800-829-1040).


Page updated: 24 January 2013
Contact Benefits: • 812-855-2172

Indiana University is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer
and a provider of ADA services.

What matters. Where it matters.

Privacy Statement empty Copyright © The Trustees of Indiana University, Copyright Complaints