A-Z Index Forms Contact Us
UHRSskip navigation
BenefitsCompensation ProgramsEmployee RelationsEmploymentHR SystemsOrg DevelopmentPoliciesWorkers' Comp
Indiana University

University Human Resources

Home > Benefits > HRA FAQ


Is the Health Reimbursement Arrangement (HRA) plan being replaced by the Health Engagement Program for 2011?

Yes, beginning in 2011, the HRA plan will be discontinued. If you are receiving a $10 monthly contribution to the HRA for completing the Tobacco-Free Affidavit for 2010 or the Quit for Life Program, you will have the 2011 calendar year to use any remaining HRA balance by submitting claims to Nyhart. You can check your current balance at iutsb.nyhart.com or by calling Nyhart at 1-800-284-8412.

If I am not enrolled in the medical plan, but elected the HRA plan in 2010, will I be able to continue receiving the monthly contribution?

No, beginning in 2011, the HRA plan will be discontinued for all employees. Employees will be eligible to use their remaining HRA balance in 2011 by submitting claims to Nyhart. You can check your current balance at iutsb.nyhart.com or by calling Nyhart at 1-800-284-8412.

When are contributions made to my HRA account?

On the last business day of each month, the university contributes $10 to an account created for you with Nyhart, the plan administrator.

Can I make contributions to my HRA account?

No. The plan is an account set up under Internal Revenue Service regulations and can only be funded by the university.

What expenses can be paid from my HRA?

Reimbursements from the Wellness HRA are allowed for IRS-approved medical expenses incurred by the employee, such as deductibles, copays, non-covered medical expenses, and certain over-the-counter items.

For those employees enrolled in the University’s High Deductible Health Plan (HDHP) and Health Savings Account, the IRS allows only dental and vision expenses to be reimbursed before the HDHP deductible is met. Once the HDHP deductible is met, all IRS eligible medical, dental and vision expenses incurred after that date are reimbursable.

How do I access the money in my HRA Account?

Claims for reimbursement can be submitted online, by fax, or by mail to Nyhart. If you requested a TSB-HRA card during Open Enrollment, you may also use the card to pay for eligible medical expenses at the point of purchase—just use the card like a credit card at your physician’s office, pharmacy, or approved retail store and payment will be deducted from your account. Remember if you are enrolled in both the Wellness HRA and TSB plan, your TSB funds will always be used first.

When do I have to submit claims?

Claims for medical expenses incurred while participating in the plan can be submitted for reimbursement at any time that you are still participating in the plan. Claims will be paid from your HRA account up to the amount accumulated at the time of the claim. Unlike the TSB plan, there is no fixed deadline for submitting claims each year. Claims cannot be reimbursed if the expense was incurred prior to the date participation began.

Since my contributions for the year will total $120, can I use the entire amount now?

No. Unlike the IU TSB Plan, you can only use the amount of HRA contributions accumulated at the time of your claim. This is due to the two plans having different IRS rules. (In the TSB plan you can access your entire annual pledge, even if it has not yet been contributed.)

What if I have unused contributions left in the account at the end of the year?

Unused year-end account balances up to a $240 maximum will carry over into the next year. Any unused funds will roll over on the last day of the plan year.

For employees who enroll in the University’s High Deductible Health Plan and Health Savings Account in the following year, any balance carried over into the next year will be limited to dental and vision expenses before the deductible is met. Example: An employee enrolls in the University’s HDHP and Health Savings Account effective on Jan 1. The employee has $240 in his/her HRA account on December 31. On January 1, the HRA balance of $240 from the prior year rolls over and because the employee is enrolled in the HDHP and Health Savings Account, this balance is limited to dental or vision expenses until the HDHP deductible is met. Any medical expense incurred, but not submitted for reimbursement, prior to the effective date of the HDHP enrollment will not be reimbursed.

What happens to my unused contributions when I end my participation in the plan?

Terminating employees—and employees whose participation in the plan ends due to transferring to an ineligible position can use their balance during a run out period which last through the end of the calendar year in which they terminate or transfer. Employees who are part of a reduction in force will have an additional three months to use their balance. These run out periods are given to participants who do not elect COBRA. Electing COBRA extends participation in the plan for up to 18 months; however, there is a monthly premium for COBRA. There is no cost for the run out period. You can track your account balance on the Nyhart website at http://iutsb.nyhart.com.

Who do I contact with questions?

The Nyhart Company:
Phone: (800) 284-8412
Fax: (888) 887-9961


University Human Resource Services:


Page updated: 7 January 2011
Contact Benefits:

Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University’s Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.

The Annual Security Reports, containing policy statements and crime statistics for Indiana University campuses, are available through Public Safety and the IU Police Department web sites at protect.iu.edu/police-safety/annual-reports/index.html. A paper copy will be provided upon request from Public Safety at .