University Human Resources
Childcare and Eldercare Resources
IU employees have access to Care.com, a resource for finding and hiring pre-screened caregivers and care companies in these areas:
- Children: babysitters, special needs, nannies, au pairs, tutors
- Adults: caregivers, home health aides, special needs
- Other: pet care and home assistants
The Care.com web site features an array of informational topics ranging from advice on how much to pay a sitter and tutoring options for a child to tips for hiring a live-in nurse.
|Establish an account to access info and services||View thousands of profiles and background info||“Talk” with caregivers online, interview, and hire|
Information contained in provider profiles can be verified by background check companies sub-contracted by Care.com. Preliminary background checks are at no cost to the employee. Information based on reviews and ratings is also available, with the ability to provide one's own review and rating.
The well-being of IU employees and their families is of the highest priority. The Care.com web site offers an extensive Safety Center of information, tips, and tools to help evaluate risk and stay savvy about safety; for example, how to make smart decisions when searching for a caregiver.
Locating a caregiver starts by creating an online account to access the network of individual providers. After entering search criteria, a page will be returned with descriptions of pre-screened providers and their services.
Employees can also post their own unique “help needed” listing.
Profiles of providers contain the following types of information:
- Background check
- Client reviews
Finding individual caregivers is the same as with childcare—use search criteria to find descriptions of pre-screened providers and their services.
Additional services are available through consultations with certified Senior Care Advisors:
- Use the senior care planning service starting with a phone call or online questionnaire.
- Receive professional help with caregiving strategies and customized care plans.
- Search for the appropriate type of care.
- Plan how to deliver and pay for care.
- Arrange virtual meetings with concerned family members across the country.
Find help for home and pets, too. Search Care.com for:
- Pet sitters, groomers, and dog walkers
- Home assistance for housekeeping, errands, and house sitting
- And more
This program is available to all full-time Academic and Staff employees, Medical Residents, eligible Graduate Appointees and Fellowship Recipients, and Retirees. Services are available nationally, so for those out of state, resources and referrals are location specific.