Form I-9 and E-Verify
- After the hiring department enters new employee information into the General Information Services (GIS) system, and emails the login credentials, the new employee accesses the GIS system and completes Form I-9 Section 1 before or on the first day of employment.
- Once Section 1 is completed, the hiring department completes Form I-9 Section 2 within three business days of the date employment begins. If either Section 1 or 2 of the Form I-9 cannot be properly completed, then the individual is not permitted to continue working.
- Section 1 must be done by the end of the 1st workday.
- Section 2 must be done by the end of the 3rd workday.
- After the Form I-9 is completed, GIS automatically accesses the E-Verify system and checks the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) data bases for eligibility to work in the U.S.
- In the event that the E-Verify system produces a Tentative Non-Confirmation to work in the U.S., the employee is provided up to eight business days to contact DHS or SSA to initiate a resolution, and must be allowed to continue working.
- If DHS or SSA issues a final Non-Confirmation to work in the U.S., then the employee is to be separated from the University.
New Hire Flow Chart (PDF)
Criminal Background Checks
- After the department obtains the individuals consent, the department enters the individual’s personal data into the General Information Services (GIS) system, and submits the criminal background check report request in order to verify the information that the individual has self-disclosed.
- General Information Services (GIS) creates a criminal background check report. The average time that it will take GIS to complete the report is 3 business days.
- If the criminal background check reports does not result in any SSN trace issues, convictions, and/or sex offender registry findings the report will be assigned the “Meets University Standards – Employment & PIC” (Programs Involving Children) grade automatically by GIS.
- If the criminal background check report does result in any SSN trace issues, convictions, and/or sex offender registry findings the reports will be assigned the “Pending” grade by GIS.
- A criminal background check that results in “pending” requires additional review and adjudication. The check will be adjudicated by the campus HR office, University HR, campus Academic Affairs, or University Public Safety depending on the individual’s IU category.
- The criminal background check report will be assigned a “Meets or Does Not Meet University Standards” grade by the adjudicator.
- The appropriate office works with the department during the adjudication process.