Remote Hire Form I-9 Completion Guidelines
Hiring units must ensure that all new employees working in the United States complete the Form I-9. These instructions provide guidance on how to complete the Form I-9 in cases where the new employee is not able to complete the Form I-9 at an Indiana University campus.
Under Federal law, the employee must complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 on or before their first day of employment. Section 2 must be completed by an authorized representative of the University within 3 business days of the employee’s first day of employment.
Note: Section 2 of the Form I-9 requires visual examination of original unexpired documents. The employee must be physically present during the review of the employee’s documents. Hiring units must not complete the Form I-9 by means of documents faxed or emailed by the employee.
Form I-9 Process for Remote Employees
- The hiring unit fills out the contact information fields on the I-9 Remote New Hire and I-9 Rep Remote Hire Letter forms.
- The hiring unit provides the employee with the following forms:
The employee returns the I-9 Remote New Hire form to the hiring unit listing the potential representatives who are willing to complete Section 2 of the Form I-9 on behalf of Indiana University. The employee can provide a copy of the I-9 Representative - Remote Hire Letter to the potential representatives in order to communicate what services are required.
There is a CUPA-HR I-9 Reciprocal Processing Consortium which is a listing of higher education institutions who are willing to provide reciprocal processing of Form I-9. This may assist the hiring unit and employee in finding a potential representative.
Go to www.cupahr.org/i9 and enter the employee’s zip code. You will see a list of the institutions nearest to that zip code that can assist in completing the Form I-9.
- The hiring unit authorizes one of the representatives to act on behalf of the University.
- The employee must complete Section 1 of the Form I-9 on or before their first day of employment.
- The employee will bring the I-9 Rep Remote Hire Letter (if previously not provided), the Form I-9, and their original unexpired identity/employment eligibility document(s) (as listed on page 9 of the Form I-9) to the authorized representative.
- The employee will present their original unexpired document(s) to the authorized representative.
- The authorized representative will inspect the document(s) and complete Section 2 of the Form I-9. Section 2 of the Form I-9 must be completed within 3 business days of the employee’s first day of employment.
- The employee mails, faxes, or emails (email must be encrypted due to the personal information listed on the I-9) the completed and original Form I-9 to the hiring unit.
- The hiring unit enters the Form I-9 information into the GIS Compli-9 system following the complete a paper Form I-9 instructions.