Form I-9 and E-Verify
These instructions are not in lieu of, but in addition to, GIS instructions.
IU Procedures for the Form I-9/E-Verify Process (PDF) Updated 2/2014
GIS Form I-9/E-Verify System - Accessible to authorized users only. To be authorized, see your department head.
E-Verify Identification Number (ID)
There are occasions when an employee is asked to confirm to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that Indiana University is a participating employer in E-Verify. The E-Verify information for all of Indiana University is as follows:
- Employer's Name: Indiana University
- Employer's E-Verify Company Identification Number: 718527
The federal government requires employers who receive federal contracts to use the government’s E-Verify system to verify the employment eligibility of employees working under federal contracts. This requirement is in addition to the existing I-9/E-Verify procedures for all new employees.
- Guidance to faculty members and departmental administrators (PDF)
- E-Verify procedures for Employees Working on Federal Contracts (PDF) Updated 2/2014
Running Employees through E-Verify Twice
Under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) regulations:
- Once a new employee has been run through E-Verify, the employer, in this case, Indiana University, is not permitted to run them through E-Verify again.
- Current employees whose employment began prior to July 25, 2011, cannot be run through E-Verify as a part of Indiana University’s agreement with the DHS. See the two exceptions below.
- Employees whose position funding is changed to a Federal contract or who move to a Federal contract-funded position must be run through E-Verify. Since IU has very few employees funded by a Federal contract, it will be a rare occurrence to run E-Verify on a current employee.
- A person who is rehired after a break in IU employment is treated as a new employee for purposes of I-9/E-Verify. If an employee leaves the university and is subsequently rehired, the department must run them through the I-9/E-Verify process at the time of rehire.
- This authorization to run current employees applies to Federal contracts only, not to Federal grants.
- If there is any question about the funding source of a position and there is a possibility that it may be a Federal contract, please check with the IU Office of Research Administration.
News and Announcements
Effective Thursday evening, December 1, 2011:
E-Verify will now allow an E-Verify case to be run with a future hire date up to one year (365 calendar days) from the current date. Previously, the HireRight system that the University used to run E-Verify would save and hold a completed case with a future hire date and submit it on the employee’s actual hire date.