University Human Resources
Step 6: Review policies
New Staff employees (non-academic) must review the following policy summaries.
- Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)—This federal law helps balance family and work needs by allowing up to 12 weeks of leave in a 12-month period.
- Affirmative Action Policy—IU prohibits discrimination and harassment based on arbitrary considerations of such characteristics as age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, and veteran status.
- Substance-Free Workplace—IU prohibits unlawful activities and use of controlled substances and alcohol on university premises or while conducting university business off university premises.
- Conflicts of Interest and Commitment—IU employees are required to avoid conflicts which involve: using one’s position to influence university operations for personal financial benefits; accepting payment from IU for time or services that are not official; external activities that interfere with fulfilling university responsibilities; and unauthorized use of university resources in the course of an external activity.
- Whistleblower Policy—This policy protects the IU employee who makes a good faith disclosure of suspected wrongful conduct. Those who have knowledge of specific acts that are reasonably believed to violate the law or university policy must disclose those acts to an appropriate IU official.