Return to Q&A index
Questions & Answers
Starting Retirement Income Benefits
1. Will IU make contributions to PERF or to my IU Retirement Plan based on my Income Replacement Payment?
The Income Replacement Payment is not considered compensation and contributions will not be made to PERF or the IU Retirement Plan based upon it.
2. Do I have to start drawing my Social Security benefits or my retirement plan income if I leave under ERIP?
Participants do not have to start drawing these benefits if they leave under ERIP and depending on the personal situation, it may be more beneficial to do so at a later time. However if a participant is 70 years old or older s/he may be subject to additional requirements for both Social Security and retirement plan benefits. Please, consult with Social Security, PERF, Fidelity, and/or TIAA-CREF.
3. Will I have enough time to apply for PERF or Social Security benefits since both require up to 90 days or more to process?
One benefit that the Income Replacement Payment provides is time for participants to transition into retirement and to make decisions as to when it is most advantageous to apply for retirement benefits such as PERF or Social Security.
4. I have questions about my Social Security, PERF, or IU Retirement Plan benefits. Who do I contact?
Social Security Contact the local Social Security Administration Office PERF 1-888-526-1687 TIAA-CREF 1-800-842-2273 Fidelity 1-800-343-0860 University Retirement Program Services in UHRS: Sue Dukeman at or (812) 855-2986 Cathy Kelsey at or (812) 855-9052
5. I don’t have my PERF ID and/or password, where can I get this information?
PERF mailed this information in June 2010. If this information has been misplaced, call PERF at 1-888-526-1687 to request a new mailing. When calling, continue to hold the line until a phone representative answers the call.
6. Will IU purchase PERF service credit for me?
IU will not purchase PERF service credit for those who are approved for ERIP.
|prev: Retiree status|