A-Z Index    Forms    Contact
skip site navigation
Indiana University

University Human Resources

Health and Safety


Dial 9-1-1 to report an accident, fire, serious injury, or crime in progress that requires immediate response.

For non-emergencies, call the administrative telephone number for the campus police department.

Injury on-the-Job

WEB RESOURCEFor critical details, see the  Injury on the Job policy.


  1. Any work-related injury or illness must be immediately reported to the supervisor, whether or not medical treatment is needed. Failure to report the injury the same day of occurrence may result in denial of a claim by Worker’s Compensation.
  2. Supervisors must report an injury on the Occupational Injury-Illness Report form within 24 hours, regardless of whether the injury required professional medical attention or resulted in lost time. The form and submittal instructions are available on the Web at hr.iu.edu/workers. Call 812-855-4847 for assistance.
  3. Staff should contact the campus Human Resources office for the specific procedure to follow when seeking medical treatment and for questions regarding Workers' Compensation.
  4. Before leaving the treatment location, employees must obtain a physician’s statement regarding the employee’s return-to-work status and provide it to their supervisor.

More information about these procedures is available from Worker’s Compensation at hr.iu.edu/workers, or call 812-855-4847.

Employee Safety

Indiana University is committed to ensuring your safety and to complying with all regulatory requirements related to employee safety. The University Office of Environmental Health and Safety Management is responsible for developing and implementing campus safety and health programs ranging from chemical safety and ergonomic evaluations to indoor air quality and hazardous waste management.

According to the Indiana Occupational Safety and Health Administration Regulations (IOSHA), it is not only an employee’s right to be protected from recognized hazards under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA), it is also their responsibility to cooperate fully with safety and health programs and to comply with IOSHA standards.

If You Feel You Have Been Directed To Perform Unsafe Work

If you feel you have been directed to perform work that is unsafe or dangerous beyond the normal hazards of your occupation–or you are asked to perform work without adequate training or protective equipment required by applicable laws–you may request that your supervisor have the work reviewed. The Office of Environmental Health and Safety Management or other university-designated expert will make a determination about the safety of the work and the safety and health standards that apply. Prior to this determination, you are not required to perform the work in question, as long as you have informed your supervisor of the safety issue and can demonstrate that there is a reasonable basis for your belief that the work would endanger your personal health or safety.

Adverse Weather

WEB RESOURCECampuses Status Report

Bad weather or adverse road conditions may occasionally be so severe that the university must suspend normal operations. However, certain essential services must remain in operation. Staff members identified by their departments as essential should make every effort to get to work.

Sometimes, adverse road conditions are present but the campus is not closed. In these cases, you may use accrued time off to cover an absence or take the time off without pay if you wish. With your supervisor’s approval, you may work later in the same workweek to make up lost time.

Be aware that…
In emergencies, it is your responsibility to listen to local news media or to contact your supervisor to see if you should report to work.

Compensation for Work When Campus is Closed

Details of compensation for work when campus is closed due to adverse weather depends on your employee group.

Adverse Working Conditions

There may be times when the physical conditions of a workplace make it impossible or impractical to work in your usual work location. Examples are loss of heat or electricity, damaged buildings, or situations implicating personal safety.

Clery Act Notice

WEB RESOURCEJeanne Clery Act at IU

Annual security and fire safety reports containing policy statements and crime and fire statistics for Indiana University campuses are available at the Public Safety and IU Police Department Web site.

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

CONTACT INFO To contact a counselor, call toll free at 1-888-23-IU EAP (1-888-234-8327).

The Employee Assistance Program provides professional help when day-to-day activities are interrupted by stress. All full-time Staff employees and members of their household are eligible to participate. Expenses for this program are paid by IU. A group of highly qualified counselors offers counseling in the areas listed below.

Use of the services is strictly confidential. Trained professional counselors are available by phone 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. After an initial assessment, EAP will help you schedule further counseling at a time and place of your choice.

The EAP is structured to provide brief, focused face-to-face counseling for up to six visits per participant per year. If mental health or substance abuse services beyond the scope of EAP are required, the EAP counselor will refer you to appropriate providers covered by your medical plan.




IU all campuses

Page updated: February 2014
Contact Employee Relations: • 812-856-6047

Indiana University is an equal employment and affirmative action employer and a provider of ADA services. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ethnicity, color, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, marital status, national origin, disability status or protected veteran status. Indiana University does not discriminate on the basis of sex in its educational programs and activities, including employment and admission, as required by Title IX. Questions or complaints regarding Title IX may be referred to the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights or the university Title IX Coordinator. See Indiana University’s Notice of Non-Discrimination here which includes contact information.

The Annual Security Reports, containing policy statements and crime statistics for Indiana University campuses, are available through Public Safety and the IU Police Department web sites at protect.iu.edu/police-safety/annual-reports/index.html. A paper copy will be provided upon request from Public Safety at .