Effective: January 1, 2010
Last Updated: July 1, 2013
Responsible University Office: University Human Resources
Responsible University Administrator: Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
Policy Contact: University Human Resources
This policy applies to all Staff and Temporary positions.
- It is the policy of Indiana University that if a position is expected to require at least 1,508 hours or more of work in a calendar year, then the position is to be established as a Staff position following normal campus and university procedures.
- It is the policy of Indiana University that if a position is expected to require less than 1,508 hours of work in a calendar year, then the position may be established as a Staff position if (1) the position is needed for at least ten months in a twelve month period, (2) is at least half-time, 50% FTE, and (3) funds are available before establishing it as a Staff position.
This policy provides the criteria and the procedures for establishing Staff positions. The 1,508 hour threshold is based on the Board of Trustees directive for establishing Staff positions.
- The steps for establishing a Staff position are:
- A current Position Description must be on file with the campus human resources office before listing the job internally or externally.
- Obtain approval for establishing the new position using procedures specific for the campus.
- Options include establishment on a 12-month or 10-month basis and from 50% to 100% FTE.
- If the position is going to be established as a 10-month position, follow the procedures at hr.iu.edu/salary/10month.htm.
- Follow the position classification procedure described in the appropriate policy, as it applies to the campus:
- Contact the campus human resources office to begin recruitment for the position. Provide an alternate format of the position announcement if an individual with a disability requests one.
Staff positions are defined as budgeted line positions and are eligible for such benefits as health care, life insurance, the IU tuition benefit, vacation, and other paid time off benefits, depending on the FTE status of the position.
Managers, supervisors, and employees who violate this policy are subject to disciplinary action, up to and including termination.
Temporary Positions hr.iu.edu/policies/temporary/positions.html
This policy replaces the existing policy titled “Establishing a Position” last revised on January 14, 2008. The principle changes are the addition of the procedures for establishing ten month positions and the removal of the sections containing the guidelines for employing persons on an temporary basis and when to establish an appointed position from a Temporary position. These last two sections are now covered in the new University personnel policy titled “Temporary Positions.”
Position Descriptions and Classification/Reclassification