University Human Resource Services
Family Medical Leave Act Q&A
The following questions and answers are provided only as a guide and are not intended to be definitive on FMLA or university policy.
- What is FMLA?
- What are reasons for taking FMLA?
- How much notice does an employee need to give for FMLA leave?
- What counts as a serious health condition?
- Under what circumstances may an FMLA leave be denied?
- What are the eligibility requirements?
- Are part time and hourly employees eligible?
- What option would be available if an employee is not eligible for FMLA and needs to take time off for a birth or serious health condition?
- Who are the family members covered under FMLA?
- How is FMLA time paid?
- May an employee choose which accrued time off to use during the FMLA?
- What happens if an employee runs out of paid time during an FMLA absence?
- How long does a department have to respond to an apparent FMLA need?
- May an employee have more than one FMLA absence in a year?
- Is 12 weeks of FMLA protection always available each calendar year for University employees?
- Who qualifies under the FMLA as a health care provider?
- What happens at the end of an FMLA?
Use of FMLA
- May an employee use FMLA on an intermittent basis?
- May an employee use FMLA on an intermittent basis for the birth or placement of a child in the employee’s home?
- Can work schedule issues or assignment to alternative positions be considered in the request for intermittent FMLA leave?
Use and accrual of benefits during FMLA
- What happens to benefits during an FMLA leave?
- Does the University continue to pay a portion of health insurance coverage during an FMLA absence?
- Is there any paperwork that needs to be filled out for FMLA?
- Is medical certification required?
- Is medical certification required for the birth of a child?
- Does a new FMLA application need to be filled out for each FMLA condition?
- Is FMLA paperwork and information kept confidential?
- How is FMLA leave to be recorded?
- Does an employee apply for FMLA for each calendar year?
- Is an E-Doc used during FMLA?
- May a department request re-certification of a serious health condition?
- May the department contact the health care provider for clarification or for answers to questions?
- What if the employee does not provide the required medical certification?
IU Bloomington location: Contact the Human Resource Assistant at 812-856-6047.