University Human Resource Services
Separations Resource Page
For Supervisors, Managers, and Staff and Hourly Employees
- Introduction: When an employee separates (voluntarily/involuntarily) from the university, this triggers a sequence of events such as required use of time off, terminal pay benefits, continuation of health care, and the end of participation in benefit plans.
- Complete the Employee Checklist: Separating Employment from IU (PDF)
- Understand the option of electing COBRA coverage
- Read and understand the Participant Rights and Responsibilities Upon Transfer or Termination booklet
Supervisor's responsibility: To fully manage these
events, refer to the policies listed in the "Separation" section
of the policy manual for the employee group listed below, and enter
the correct term code in the HRMS documentation.
- Complete the Supervisor Checklist: Separating Employment from IU (PDF)
- Employee policies
- How to protect computer data, systems, accounts: Supervisor's Guide to Information Policy, Privacy, and Security
- Codes for entering into HRMS: Termination/Separation Reasons