University Human Resources
Separations Resource Page
for Supervisors, Managers, and Staff and Temporary Employees
When an employee separates (voluntarily/involuntarily) from the university, this triggers a sequence of events such as required use of time off, terminal pay benefits, continuation of health care, and the end of participation in benefit plans.
- Complete the Employee Checklist: Separating Employment from IU (PDF)
- Understand the option of electing COBRA coverage
- Read and understand the Participant Rights and Responsibilities Upon Transfer or Termination booklet
To fully manage these events, refer to the policies listed in the "Separation" section of the policy manual for the employee group listed below, and enter the correct term code in the HRMS documentation.
- Complete the Supervisor Checklist: Separating Employment from IU (PDF)
- Employee policies
- How to protect computer data, systems, accounts: Safeguards for Domain 5 Information Security & Privacy Program
- Codes for entering into HRMS: Termination/Separation Reasons