University Human Resource Services
Performance Improvement Plan for Employee Y
Deficiency Statement: Employee fails to complete tasks in order of their priority often resulting in very low priority work being accomplished, while high priority work remains incomplete and overtime is incurred. In some cases overtime has been worked without supervisory permission.
Assigned work is completed on time and in order of most important to least important tasks.
- Priority: High Priority. Failure to complete work in the appropriate time creates problems for students as well as faculty.
- Performance Standard:
- Priority 1 Tasks: Tasks related to preparation of class materials, student recruitment and record keeping must be completed within 24 hours of being received. Priority 2 Tasks: Research related requests must be completed within one work week of the time they are received.
- Priority 3 Tasks: Data bases and related tasks will be performed on an as time is available basis.
- Goals and Timetables: At the end of each week, work in-progress will be reviewed. Unless some unusual situation has occurred and been modified and approved by your immediate supervisor, no Priority 1 work will have remained incomplete for more than one day from its receipt by you. Priority 2 and 3 work in-progress will be acceptable only if it has been discontinued to complete a Priority 1 task.
- Action Plans: Employee and supervisor will devise a Work Log for use by employee in logging work to be done, identifying the time and date received, the number of the priority, date completed, and name of person generating the work. The Work Log will be reviewed by employee and supervisor weekly to identify areas where problems are occurring and to devise alternative plans when necessary.
- As soon as possible, employee will attend a seminar on time management.
When more work is assigned than can be completed, employee requests assistance from immediate supervisor.
- Priority: High Priority. Ensures that deadlines are met when work load is overwhelming.
- Performance Standard: You must notify your immediate supervisor that you may be unable to complete the task within the assigned time. Notice to your supervisor must be given a minimum of two working hours before the assignment is due to be completed.
- Goals and Timetables: Reduce your failure to make the appropriate notification to your supervisor to no more than three times during the first month; twice during the second month; and once during each succeeding month.
- Action Plan: When priority assignments overlap, you will bring work with due dates appropriately identified to your supervisor. Immediate supervisor will consult with the individuals generating the work and arrange to amend the priority of the work to be performed.
Overtime will be worked ONLY when assigned and authorized by management.
- Priority: High priority. Reduce labor costs to the university.
- Performance Standard: No overtime will be worked without permission and authorization of your immediate supervisor or that person's supervisor.
- Goals and Timetables: Beginning immediately no overtime will be incurred without proper authorization.
- Action Plans: All requests for overtime will be generated by your immediate supervisor.
Terms of Agreement The purpose of this document is to identify performance deficiencies and to provide a clear concise mechanism for improving performance to a standard of "Meets Expectations". Every effort will be made to provide training and support necessary for the successful completion of this Performance Improvement Plan. Items contained in this plan are subject to modification under several circumstances. First, should it become clear that the level of "Meets Expectations" has been attained prior to the projected date, the plan may be dissolved upon agreement of the supervisor and employee. Second, where improvement in overall performance is noted, but additional time and/or training is required to reach a standard of "Meets Expectations" in all areas, the plan may be renegotiated. Finally, after a reasonable amount of time has passed, should it be determined that the overall performance continues at the level of "Does Not Meet Expectations" or that a standard of "Meets Expectations" cannot be met, a final warning will be issued. We agree to work together on the items identified in this Performance Improvement Plan and to make every effort to reach the goals and expectations defined.
Supervisor's Signature________________________ Date_________________
Employee Signature____________________________ Date__________________
Next Performance Review Date______________________