University Human Resources
Every workplace has its rules in order for people to successfully work together with a common set of expectations. These rules can be formal university policy, department specific procedures, or the informal understandings of the workplace. When determining appropriate action take severity of consequences and previous violations (if any) into consideration.
- Clearly communicate the violated rule and the reason for the rule.
- Don't assume the rule is understood.
- Provide access to written documentation of the rule, if any.
- Ask the employee to paraphrase the rule back to you to ensure understanding.
- If you have been lax or inconsistent in applying the rule review the section on changing a past practice.
- Establish and communicate consequences for continued violation of the rule.
- If the rule is new, provide a "break-in" period for employees.
- Properly document the rule violation.
If the situation still exists, begin the progressive discipline process.