University Human Resources
The university does not specify a particular form. Departments can design their own to best meet their objectives. Major Duties and Performance Standards should be a central part of all forms. You might want to consider building in space for one or more of the following:
- Annual goals (see below)
- Professional development (see below)
- Supervisory comments
- Employee comments
Most professional positions have annual goals in addition to the Major Job Duties. These goals change from year to year, are usually determined in a collaborative effort between supervisor and employee, and are tied to the organization's goals. If goals are included in the form, it would be a good idea to also include performance standards for those goals.
- Develop and implement a new xyz system by the start of the fall semester. The system must meet the needs of the users, be reliable and user friendly. The project will meet or come in under budget.
- Increase revenues by 20% by the end of the calendar year.
- Chair committee to analyze the processes within the department and submit recommendations for change by June 1.
- Develop and implement a professional development plan for all staff prior to the start of the academic year. Each plan shall incorporate any development needs identified for the employee’s current responsibilities and any development needs identified due to changing organizational needs.
- Develop three new training programs to be offered in the Spring semester. These programs will be based on the needs of the targeted population, reflect the latest research in the field and be developed consistent with adult learning theories.
- Coordinate and implement a performance management plan for the organization
by the end of the calendar year. The plan should meet all of the guidelines
proposed by the university. A draft of the plan should be presented
to administration no later than July 1.
Professional development is often included in a performance management plan. This provides the supervisor and employee an opportunity to discuss what training, work experiences, etc. would enhance the employee’s value to the organization. Normally this is done by adding the following question to the form: What professional development activities are suggested for this employee?