Facilities Management Services
Computer Room Guidelines
We are presently converting the smaller machines from tabletop to rack mounted equipment. If you have a small server, be prepared to install that unit in a rack. We stock Multi-racks that can accommodate most types of server or machines. The cost of the rack will be charged to your project. If you prefer to order your own rack, please check with the Facilities unit to insure the rack you select will fit in the space allocated.
To request space for a machine in the WCC computer room, please complete form. Power to serve your computer units will be chargeable to your unit or project.
Please be ready to indicate type of power plug needed for your unit.
WCC Computer Room Guidelines Effective January 1, 1999
1. All devices are to be in their own floor enclosures, Sun, Compaq, Wrightline, or Multi- racks. Racks are usually in stock and can be purchased from the Facilities unit.
2. Monitors should be "operator room" located when possible. Otherwise, plan for monitors in a rack.
3. No later than when a device order is placed, location in the room should be requested of the Facilities Mgr. or the Operations Mgr.
4. Because we do not have space to house equipment being delivered, arrangements are to be made on how to receive the equipment.
5. Power for each device is to be requested of the Facilities. Please include the cost of power receptacles and cords in your financial plan. Those costs are to be funded by the project. This should be accomplished no later than # 3 above. The more common receptacles with power cords are stocked and can be purchased from the Facilities unit.
6. It is your responsibility to arrange for the equipment to be located in the proper place in the computer room.
7. Disposal of all refuse (cardboard, Styrofoam, plastic, pallets, etc) is the responsibility of the person installing the device. Please see that the refuse is removed from the computer room daily. If you are so inclined, please recycle cardboard. There is no one in UITS that has the responsibility to clean up trash left by others.
8. All old equipment being removed will follow the same general guidelines (coordinate with either the Facilities or Operations for the removal). Any system housed in the machine room must be removed within six months of the time it is taken out of production use. Do not leave old equipment in the computer room.
9. No combustible material should be left in the computer room overnight. This includes cardboard, wood, plastic, etc. This negates the use of wooden tables/shelves.
10. You will be notified of equipment arrival (unless otherwise arranged) by the receiving dock personnel..
11. People other than UITS full-time staff are permitted in the computer room only under the following circumstances:
A. Are full-time staff working in the employ of vendors providing services to UIT
B. Are full-time staff of Indiana University working on a system owned by an IU department housed in the computer room under terms specified in a FMA ( Facilities Maintenance Agreement).
C. Are being escorted by a full-time UITS staff member as a part of a tour of the facility.