Center for Statistical and Mathematical Computing
The UITS User Survey is administered by the IUPUI Office of Information Management and Institutional Research. Surveys were sent to 2000 randomly selected people at Indiana University-Purdue University, Indianapolis (400 faculty, 400 staff, 400 graduate students, and 800 undergraduate students). The questions on the survey are primarily Likert opinion scales (1-5 rating scales with 5 always being the most favorable rating). For questions asking opinions of services, the results shown include in order: the average opinion score (labeled "Average"), the percentage of people who were satisfied with the service (graded it as a 3 or better, labeled "Satisfaction"), the percentage of people who use the service (which we have taken to be the percentage of people who expressed an opinion about it, labeled "Usage"), and the total number of respondents to each question (raw number of respondents who did not leave a given item blank, labeled "Responses").
Unless indicated otherwise, the results shown are weighted to estimate the average response of the entire IUPUI community. Some services, however, are used only by certain subpopulations, so results are shown for the appropriate subpopulations. Subpopulations are indicated by F for faculty, S for Staff, G for graduate students, and U for undergraduate students. In some cases, the scores are for groups of subpopulations, indicated for example by [G&U] for services used by graduate and undergraduate students. Results are shown separately for multiple subpopulations where appropriate. For the average opinion and the satisfaction percentage scores, confidence intervals are also provided. The confidence intervals indicate the sampling error for each estimate at the 95% confidence level (i.e. each mean and satisfaction score falls within the range indicated by the estimated value, plus or minus the interval score).
1. The Telecommunications Division of UITS provides a wide range of telephone services to faculty, student, and staff customers. If you use such facilities and services, please indicate your overall satisfaction by circling the appropriate response.
|Campus Switchboard (274-5555 or 0)||3.81 ±0.07||90.92 ±2.1%||54.7||784|
|Printed telephone directories||3.91 ±0.06||94.12 ±1.7%||69.3||786|
|Campus office telephone service||4.15 ±0.08||97.47 ±1.7%||79.9||393 [F&S]|
|Campus office telephone repair services||4.11 ±0.08||97.57 ±1.6%||61.5||395 [F&S]|
|Installation of campus office data jacks and telephones||4.08 ±0.09||94.89 ±2.3%||69.5||394 [F&S]|
|Campus office telephone equipment (single line sets, business sets, etc.)||3.99 ±0.09||96.00 ±2.1%||74.6||394 [F&S]|
|Campus office long distance service||4.25 ±0.09||96.04 ±2.1%||89.2||390 [F&S]|
|Campus office voice mail services (274-6245)||4.19 ±0.09||95.17 ±2.2%||89.3||394 [F&S]|
|Optional telephone features and packages||3.92 ±0.09||93.75 ±2.5%||52.4||391 [F&S]|
|Cellular telephone services||3.93 ±0.09||95.40 ±2.2%||11.0||390 [F&S]|
|Pager services||4.04 ±0.08||97.22 ±1.8%||36.7||390 [F&S]|
|Campus office monthly invoice format||3.82 ±0.09||93.33 ±2.6%||26.9||394 [F&S]|
|Customer services and consulting||4.01 ±0.08||96.74 ±1.9%||38.8||394 [F&S]|
|Teleconference service provided by Campus Switchboard||4.01 ±0.07||98.24 ±1.4%||28.3||392 [F&S]|
|Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD)||3.92 ±0.08||91.27 ±2.0%||4.6||783 [F&S]|
2. On a weekly basis, how often do you call the Campus Switchboard (274-5555 or 0)?
|Average:||1.53 ±0.07||Frequency:||14.14 ±2.5%||Usage %:||70.0||Responses:||787|
3. Overall, how satisfied are you with the services offered by the Telecommunications Division of UITS during the past year (e.g., Long Distance Calling Service, Telephone Service, Telephone Features, Voice Mail, Campus Switchboard, and Telephone Equipment)?
|Average:||3.68 ±0.06||Satisfaction:||92.65 ±1.9%||Usage %:||72.4||Responses:||790|
4. Do you use computers?
5. Overall, how satisfied are you with the computing and computer networking services offered by University Information Technology Services (UITS) during the past year (e.g., public computing facilities, electronic mail, research computers, computer network, telephone consulting at 274-4357, World Wide Web, IUIS, Decision Support Services)?
|Average:||3.90 ±0.07||Satisfaction:||90.46 ±2.2%||
6. Overall, how important are UITS systems and services to your work or study?
|Average:||4.24 ±0.07||Satisfaction:||92.21 ±2.0%||Usage %:||95.9||Responses:||749|
7. Approximately how many hours did you use a computer in the past seven days?
8. How would you rate your computer expertise?
|Expertise (1=novice, 5=expert)||3.07|
9. Do you have a computer in your residence (desktop computer or a laptop that you use at home)?
a. If you have a computer in your residence, what type of computer is it?
|Apple Macintosh or compatible||8.2%||77|
|Unix workstation (including PCs running LINUX)||2.9%||7|
b. If you have a computer in your residence, does your computer have a modem?
c. If you use a modem to access the IUPUI computing systems, please indicate the service you call. Please circle all that apply.
|UITS Local modem pool (278-5619)||23.7%||228|
|UITS World modem pool (278-5620)||19.1%||204|
|UITS Express modem pool (278-5621)||15.6%||160|
|Commercial Internet Service Provider (e.g., Microsoft Network, America Online, Kiva, IQuest, INdynet, etc.)||25.5%||202|
|Departmental modem pool or modem attached to office/laboratory workstation||4.3%||90|
d. From the above, please indicate which service you use most often (specify 1 to 5):
|UITS Local modem pool (278-5619)||25.2%||96|
|UITS World modem pool (278-5620)||19.6%||88|
|UITS Express modem pool (278-5621)||8.2%||36|
|Commercial Internet Service Provider (e.g., Microsoft Network, America Online, Kiva, IQuest, INdynet, etc.)||42.9%||116|
|Departmental modem pool or modem attached to office/laboratory workstation||4.0%||29|
10. UITS supports a variety of electronic mail systems to send messages (e-mail) to others at IUPUI and at other institutions worldwide. If you use such facilities and services, please indicate your overall satisfaction by circling the appropriate response.
|Pine (the mailer on the Jewel computers)||3.72 ±0.10||83.10 ±3.0%||65.8||643|
|Elm||3.24 ±0.13||64.38 ±4.2%||4.1||515|
|Eudora||3.99 ±0.07||93.25 ±2.2%||21.9||547|
|Groupwise||3.71 ±0.08||86.54 ±2.9%||28.6||570|
|Microsoft Exchange||3.71 ±0.11||84.59 ±3.1%||21.4||542|
11. Which e-mail system do you use most often (please circle one)?
12. How satisfied are you with the central e-mail list server (Listserv)?
|Average:||3.65 ±0.08||Satisfaction:||83.53 ±2.7%||Usage %:||66.8||Responses:||732|
13. Overall, how satisfied are you with the electronic mail systems available at IUPUI?
|Average:||3.77 ±0.08||Satisfaction:||84.76 ±2.6%||Usage %:||87.7||Responses:||740|
14. UITS provides a wide range of assistance for computer users. If you have received any help from any of the following sources in the past year, please indicate your satisfaction by circling the appropriate response.
|Telephone consulting (UITS Support Center, 274-4357, formerly "Help Desk")||3.83 ±0.08||88.06 ±2.4%||55.0||723|
|Walk-in consulting at UITS Support Center (ET 025, disk recovery, account services, how-to guides)||3.90 ±0.08||89.71 ±2.3%||31.7||722|
|Online consulting resources (Knowledge Base, Computing Help Online)||3.56 ±0.07||83.87 ±2.7%||27.1||719|
|Online account creation process for central UITS computers (http://www.iupui.edu/it/dags)||3.74 ±0.07||91.01 ±2.1%||27.7||722|
|UITS communications and publications on paper (how-to guides, student guide, Quick Docs)||3.68 ±0.07||87.42 ±2.5%||32.4||720|
|UITS communications and publications online (how-to guides via Web, NewbIT, Metro Mail)||3.64 ±0.07||90.50 ±2.2%||35.2||719|
|Availability of information concerning UITS computers and services||3.38 ±0.08||80.43 ±2.9%||53.0||723|
|UITS Education Program (Today's Information Processing Skills, TIPS)||3.46 ±0.10||84.96 ±3.9%||18.1||349 [U&G]|
|Getting software via SoftServe||3.46 ±0.09||77.57 ±3.1%||25.1||724|
|IUPUI SoftPak CD-ROM||4.14 ±0.08||92.01 ±2.0%||39.2||722|
15. Overall, how satisfied are you with the UITS user support services available at IUPUI?
|Average:||3.70 ±0.06||Satisfaction:||90.28 ±2.2%||Usage %:||74.8||Responses:||726|
16. UITS provides a wide range of support and services directly to academic departments. If you use such facilities and services, please indicate your overall satisfaction by circling the appropriate response.
|Computer hardware installation and repair (Repair and Maintenance, formerly Technology Support Services or TSS)||3.49 ±0.12||78.72 ±4.4%||53.9||356 [F&S]|
|Software installation and maintenance (Repair and Maintenance, formerly TSS)||3.49 ±0.13||76.84 ±4.5%||42.4||356 [F&S]|
|Departmental computing support services (PICS server tools/resources, activities in support of departmental computing staff, i.e., CTST)||3.45 ±0.12||76.26 ±4.6%||35.5||355 [F&S]|
|Local area network support||3.48 ±0.12||80.10 ±4.3%||46.2||357 [F&S]|
|Computer-based technical education software for departmental computing support staff (CBTs)||3.25 ±0.12||75.24 ±4.6%||19.4||351 [F&S]|
|Software distribution for departmental computer support staff (via Campus2 server)||3.28 ±0.12||74.13 ±4.7%||19.7||351 [F&S]|
|Online service request and problem tracking system for departmental support staff (Eclipse/Apriori)||3.49 ±0.13||78.05 ±4.4%||22.9||353 [F&S]|
|Contract services on Year 2000 compliance applications (inventory, program conversions, testing, etc.)||3.25 ±0.13||79.22 ±4.4%||9.4||351 [F&S]|
17. Overall, how satisfied are you with UITS departmental support services available at IUPUI?
|Average:||3.51 ±0.11||Satisfaction:||82.31 ±4.1%||Usage %:||59.6||Responses:||359 [F&S]|
18. UITS maintains a number of computer facilities and services specifically designated for student use and instruction. If you use such facilities and services, please indicate your overall satisfaction by circling the appropriate response. Note: Student Technology Centers, or STC, were formerly known as the Learning Centers.
|Student Technology Centers hardware (computers, printers, etc.)||3.95 ±0.06||95.13 ±1.6%||51.9||703|
|Student Technology Centers software||4.06 ±0.06||96.51 ±1.4%||44.6||700|
|Student Technology Centers consulting overall||3.72 ±0.07||89.05 ±2.4%||46.2||690|
|Knowledge and ability of Student Technology Centers consultants||3.70 ±0.08||87.73 ±2.5%||46.1||696|
|Courtesy and helpfulness of Student Technology Centers consultants||3.76 ±0.08||89.76 ±2.3%||47.2||695|
|Student Technology Centers overall||3.87 ±0.06||94.70 ±1.7%||50.6||696|
|Bookbag (network storage space)||3.59 ±0.09||80.67 ±3.0%||20.9||694|
|Central instructional and general purpose computers (Nash, Auburn)||3.58 ±0.07||88.40 ±2.4%||14.0||694|
|Delivery of instructional video via Interactive Multimedia Distribution System (IMDS)||3.55 ±0.19||72.73 ±7.2%||13.7||161 [F]|
|Distributed Learning Support (Distance Learning Course Production, A/V production services, needs assessment)||3.56 ±0.18||84.38 ±5.9%||19.9||161 [F]|
|Instructional Technology Resources (classroom A/V equipment consulting, delivery, setup, and maintenance, LCD panels, equipment availability)||3.76 ±0.15||88.89 ±5.2%||44.7||161 [F]|
19. Overall, how satisfied are you with UITS instructional and student computing services available at IUPUI?
|Average:||3.85 ±0.06||Satisfaction:||93.73 ±1.9%||Usage %:||55.6||Responses:||696|
20. Alone, or in partnership with other campus units, UITS provides facilities and services in support of research. If you use such facilities and services, please indicate your overall satisfaction by circling the appropriate response.
|INDYVAX||3.56 ±0.11||83.01 ±4.4%||31.6||301 [G&F]|
|INDYSTAT||3.50 ±0.12||79.77 ±4.7%||7.4||298 [G&F]|
|Bloomington-based research systems (STARRS, Chrome, Zinc, Cobalt, SP)||3.64 ±0.11||78.45 ±4.8%||3.0||299 [G&F]|
|Unix Workstation Support Group (UWSG, 855-2627)||3.61 ±0.10||87.79 ±3.9%||3.0||299 [G&F]|
|Center for Statistical and Mathematical Computing (Located in Bloomington: firstname.lastname@example.org, 855-4724)||3.73 ±0.11||90.84 ±3.4%||2.0||297 [G&F]|
21. Overall, how satisfied are you with the UITS research computing services available at IUPUI?
|Average:||3.52 ±0.11||Satisfaction:||83.64 ±4.4%||Usage %:||29.2||Responses:||295 [G&F]|
22. Through the University Information Services Division, UITS supports a number of information systems in support of administrative services on campus. If you use such facilities and services, please indicate your overall satisfaction by circling the appropriate response.
|Library online catalog (IO) overall||3.83 ±0.06||92.90 ±1.9%||62.7||722|
|IO software functionality||3.69 ±0.07||90.13 ±2.2%||54.7||716|
|Reliability and availability of IO||3.75 ±0.07||90.32 ±2.2%||54.8||702|
|Financial Information System (FIS) overall||3.82 ±0.10||91.66 ±3.0%||29.5||363 [F&S]|
|FIS software functionality||3.69 ±0.11||89.59 ±3.3%||29.5||356 [F&S]|
|Reliability and availability of FIS||3.75 ±0.11||90.32 ±3.2%||28.9||353 [F&S]|
|The Online Purchasing System (TOPS) overall||3.36 ±0.14||71.36 ±4.8%||17.3||364 [F&S]|
|TOPS software functionality||3.25 ±0.15||69.76 ±4.9%||17.7||356 [F&S]|
|Reliability and availability of TOPS||3.51 ±0.13||79.33 ±4.3%||17.8||354 [F&S]|
|Financial Systems Reporting Environment (Data Direct/PDQ via Web browsers) overall||3.68 ±0.11||84.08 ±3.9%||17.6||358 [S]|
|Data Direct/PDQ software functionality||3.65 ±0.12||84.80 ±3.9%||18.6||354 [S]|
|Reliability and availability of Data Direct/PDQ||3.68 ±0.11||84.58 ±3.9%||18.5||352 [S]|
|Human Resource Information System (HRIS)||4.13 ±0.13||95.08 ±3.3%||31.8||192 [F&S]|
|HRIS software functionality||3.86 ±0.14||90.91 ±4.4%||23.3||189 [F&S]|
|Reliability and availability of HRIS||3.90 ±0.14||92.68 ±4.0%||22.4||183 [F&S]|
|Decision Support Software (IUDSS) overall||3.60 ±0.16||86.67 ±5.1%||7.9||189 [S]|
|IUDSS software functionality||3.73 ±0.17||86.67 ±5.1%||8.0||188 [S]|
|Reliability and availability of IUDSS||3.67 ±0.17||86.67 ±5.2%||8.1||185 [S]|
|Safeword cards||3.42 ±0.18||75.00 ±6.4%||50.8||189 [S]|
|INSITE (http://insite.indiana.edu, Web-based course listings, Bursar information, student advising, etc.)||4.17 ±0.07||95.76 ±1.5%||47.0||711|
23. Overall, how satisfied are you with the financial and human resource systems available at IUPUI (e.g., TOPS, FIS, Electronic Payroll, HRIS, etc.)?
|Average:||3.62 ±0.10||Satisfaction:||89.51 ±3.3%||Usage %:||42.1||Responses:||363 [F&S]|
24. Overall, how satisfied are you with the administrative student support systems available at IUPUI (e.g., IO, INSITE, etc.)?
|Average:||3.98 ±0.09||Satisfaction:||95.13 ±2.3%||Usage %:||44.6||Responses:||368 [F&S]|
25. Overall, how sa tisfied are you with the administrative support systems available at IUPUI?
|Average:||3.81 ±0.06||Satisfaction:||94.03 ±1.8%||Usage %:||64.0||Responses:||723|
26. UITS supports access to and use of various network-based information services and tools. If you use such facilities and services, please indicate your overall satisfaction by circling the appropriate response.
|Publishing on IUPUI Web servers (www.iupui.edu)||3.90 ±0.07||94.03 ±1.8%||34.5||718|
|Browsing on IUPUI Web servers (www.iupui.edu)||4.08 ±0.06||95.48 ±1.6%||66.8||725|
|Personal Web home pages (Nash, php.iupui.edu)||3.98 ±0.08||91.18 ±2.1%||26.8||720|
|Usenet news groups||3.55 ±0.08||82.96 ±2.8%||20.6||714|
27. Overall, how satisfied are you with network-based information services?
|Average:||3.90 ±0.06||Satisfaction:||96.8 ±1.3%||Usage %:||67.8||Responses:||714|
28. UITS provides campus networking and dial-in modem services. If you use such facilities and services, please indicate your overall satisfaction by circling the appropriate response.
|Dial-in modem services (278-5618, 5620, 5621)||3.19 ±0.09||70.8 ±3.4%||47.9||703|
|Reliability of office or laboratory direct network connection (Ethernet data jack)||3.98 ±0.11||89.7 ±3.3%||55.1||352 [F&S]|
|Speed of office or laboratory direct network connection (Ethernet data jack)||3.85 ±0.11||88.1 ±3.5%||56.7||353 [F&S]|
|Public laptop network data jacks||3.45 ±0.07||84.0 ±2.8%||7.3||695|
29. Overall, how satisfied are you with the UITS network services available at IUPUI?
|Average:||3.57 ±0.07||Satisfaction:||85.90 ±2.6%||Usage %:||58.2||Responses:||701|
30. During 1997-98, UITS implemented a plan for dedicated servers for e-mail (Jewel), Web pages (including a personal home page server, php.iupui.edu), and general computing (Auburn). How satisfied are you with the information and support provided to help users change to these new servers?
|Average:||3.64 ±0.08||Satisfaction:||83.23 ±2.7%||Usage %:||63.1||Responses:||735|
31. During 1997-98, UITS made several changes to enhance computer security on campus including the creation of the University Computer Security Office, testing user passwords and where necessary requiring users to create a more secure password, scanning university and department servers and workstations for known security vulnerabilities, and regularly notifying users of the latest changes in security enhancement. Overall, how satisfied are you with the security measures implemented by UITS?
|Average:||3.94 ±0.07||Satisfaction:||93.8 ±1.8%||Usage %:||64.9||Responses:||732|
32. The Year 2000 presents a series of potential problems for computer users on campus. Please indicate your satisfaction with UITS efforts to provide information and support concerning the Year 2000 problem.
|Average:||3.51 ±0.11||Satisfaction:||81.8 ±4.0%||Usage %:||26.4||Responses:||375 [F&S]|
33. Do you feel that your department is ready for dealing with Year 2000 problems?
34. How helpful has the computing and network environment at IUPUI been in your teaching activities?
|Average:||3.52 ±0.17||Helpfulness:||81.9 ±5.9%||Usage %:||83.7||Responses:||178 [F]|
35. How helpful has the computing and network environment at IUPUI been in your research activities?
|Average:||3.77 ±0.11||Helpfulness:||86.7 ±3.9%||Usage %:||75.0||Responses:||320 [G&F]|
36. How helpful has the computing and network environment been in your learning experience at IU?
|Average:||4.07 ±0.09||Helpfulness:||93.7 ±2.6%||Usage %:||87.6||Responses:||362 [U&G]|
37. Please state your level of agreement with the following statement: The computing and network environment was an important factor in my decision to attend IUPUI.
|Average:||2.19 ±0.12||Agreement:||39.8 ±5.2%||Usage %:||84.8||Responses:||361 [U&G]|
38. Overall, how satisfied are you with the information technology services (including telecommunications, computing, and computer networking) offered by UITS during the past year?
|Average:||3.79 ±0.06||Satisfaction:||94.3 ±1.7%||Usage %:||92.0||Responses:||728|
39. Departments other than UITS offer computing services that are important to the functioning of the IUPUI computing environment. If you use such facilities and services, please indicate your satisfaction by circling the appropriate response.
|Computing support personnel employed by your department||3.83 ±0.16||84.8 ±3.9%||66.5||346 [F&S]|
|Statistical Consulting Service (Located in Bloomington, email@example.com)||3.57 ±0.10||94.2 ±2.8%||3.4||297 [G&F]|
|INDYCAT (Web-based library catalog)||3.77 ±0.07||91.9 ±2.1%||51.1||687|
|Center for Teaching and Learning||3.92 ±0.15||92.1 ±4.5%||54.9||162 [F]|
40. Are there additional comments you would like to make about University Information Technology Services?
41. If you would like a UITS representative to contact you concerning an information technology issue, please check the box below. If you choose to have a representative contact you, your name and address will be provided to UITS, but your survey responses will remain anonymous.