New Director of Online Education Joins EVPURAPP
Dr. Judith (Judy) Halstead will be joining IU’s Office of Online Education as Associate Director, effective November 1, 2012. IU’s Office of Online Education provides leadership, management and coordination of online education across all campuses of Indiana University. This will be a 50% appointment, and Judy will also continue in her current role as Executive Associate Dean for Academic Affairs in the core School of Nursing on the IUPUI, Bloomington and Columbus campuses.
As Associate Director of IU’s Office of Online Education, Judy will:
- Work with campuses, colleges and schools to encourage exploration and implementation of programs that are consistent with IU’s online education strategic plan;
- Determine overall university resource needs to support online education, needs of specific units, and ways to meet these needs including a pricing policy for IU online education;
- Establish, implement and maintain assessment criteria and processes for new online programs and courses;
- Work with key administrative units to improve the ease and efficiency of supporting multi-campus courses and programs;
- Address intercampus issues regarding online education; and
- Coordinate with state and other entities that influence online education.
As one of the first educators in the state of Indiana to develop online degree programs in nursing and the health professions, she has been a national leader and consultant in online education in nursing since the late ‘90s. She most recently led the development of the online RN-BSN degree consortium across all IU campuses. Judy has received over $4.4 million in educational and program grants. Her work in promoting excellence in nursing education, including the use of active learning strategies in online learning, has been disseminated nationally and internationally in over 100 presentations, 5 books, and 50 publications. She is co-editor of the award winning book on nursing education, Teaching in Nursing: A Guide for Faculty, now in its 4th edition.
Judy is the recipient of numerous regional, national and international teaching awards in recognition of her leadership in advancing excellence in education. She is a fellow in both the National League for Nursing Academy of Nursing Education and the American Academy of Nursing, and is currently the President of the National League for Nursing, the premier national nursing organization focused on promoting quality in nursing education.