Historical Background Bibliography
The bibliography below provides a sampling of background information on the Ostrom Workshop and "The Bloomington School." See also the Digital Library of the Commons (DLC), Publications, and Founders—The Ostroms.
History of the Workshop
"The Bloomington School"
- Aligica, Paul Dragos. 2014. Institutional Diversity and Political Economy: The Ostroms and Beyond. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Aligica, Paul Dragos, and Peter Boettke. 2009. Challenging Institutional Analysis and Development: The Bloomington School. New York: Routledge.
- Aligica, Paul Dragos, and Peter Boettke. 2010. “The Social Philosophies of Ostroms’ Institutionalism.” Working Paper no. 10–19. Fairfax, VA: George Mason University, Mercatus Center.
- Cole, Daniel, and Michael McGinnis, eds. Forthcoming 2015. Elinor Ostrom and the Bloomington School of Political Economy: Volume 1, Polycentricity in Public Administration and Political Science (Lexington Books).
- “Elinor Ostrom: An Uncommon Colleague” and “A Common Interest” (Burney Fischer & Elinor Ostrom), SPEA magazine (Spring 2010): 4–7; 8–10.
- The Good Society 20(1) (2011), Special issue, “Symposium: The Bloomington School.”
- Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization 57(2) (2005), Special issue, “Polycentric Political Economy: A Festschrift for Elinor & Vincent Ostrom.”
- McGinnis, Michael, and Elinor Ostrom. 2012. “Reflections on Vincent Ostrom, Public Administration, and Polycentricity.” Public Administration Review 72(1): 15–25.
- Policy Matters (issue 19, April 2014), Special issue, “Remembering Elinor Ostrom: Her Work and Its Contribution to the Theory and Practice of Conservation and Sustainable Natural Resource Management,” edited by James Robson, et al.
- Publius: The Journal of Federalism, virtual Issue: "Scholarly Works on Federalism by Elinor Ostrom and Vincent Ostrom"; and blog posting by John Kincaid on the Ostroms and their federalism scholarship.
- Toonen, Theo. 2010. “Resilience in Public Administration: The Work of Elinor and Vincent Ostrom from a Public Administration Perspective.” Public Administration Review 70(2): 193–202.
- Transnational Corporations Review 2(2) (2010), Special issue, “Celebrating Elinor Ostrom’s 2009 Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences.”
Interviews with the Ostroms
- “The Master Artisan,” profile of Elinor Ostrom, Finance & Development 48(3) (2011).
- Walk-the-Talk with Elinor Ostrom, video interview in India, February 12, 2011.
- “Elinor Ostrom and the Search for Sustainability,” Current Conservation 4(3) (2010).
- "An Interview with Elinor Ostrom," by Margaret Levi, Annual Reviews Conversations, 2010. Transcript (PDF) or Video.
- “Rethinking Institutional Analysis: Interviews with Vincent and Elinor Ostrom” (with introductions by Vernon Smith & Gordon Tullock), Commemorating a Lifetime of Achievement, George Mason University, Mercatus Center, November 7, 2003.
- “A Researcher's Tale, Then and Now” (an interview with Elinor Ostrom by Michael Wilkerson), Research & Creative Activity 25(1) (Fall 2002).
Institutional Analysis and Development (IAD) Framework
Social-Ecological System (SES) Framework
- Ecology and Society 19(2) 2014). Special issue edited by Pieter Bots, Maja Schlüter, and Jan Sendzimir, “A Framework for Analyzing, Comparing, and Diagnosing Social-Ecological Systems.”
- Epstein, Graham, Jessica Vogt, Sarah Mincey, Michael Cox, and Burnell Fischer. 2013. “Missing Ecology: Integrating Ecological Perspectives with the Social-Ecological System Framework.” International Journal of the Commons 7(2), http://www.thecommonsjournal.org/index.php/ijc/article/view/371/331.
- Janssen, Marco, François Bousquet, and Elinor Ostrom. 2011. “A Multimethod Approach to Study the Governance of Social-Ecological Systems.” Natures Sciences Sociétés (June): 4–16.
- Ostrom, Elinor. 2009. “A General Framework for Analyzing Sustainability of Social-Ecological Systems.” Science 325(5939): 419–22.
- Ostrom, Elinor, and Michael Cox. 2010. “Moving Beyond Panaceas: A Multi-Tiered Diagnostic Approach for Social-Ecological Analysis.” Environmental Conservation 37(4): 451–63.
- Social-Ecological Systems Bibliography, http://www.indiana.edu/~workshop/wsl/socecol.php.
The Commons; Common-Pool Resources; Coproduction; Design Principles; Police Services
- Boettke, Peter, Liya Palagashvili, and Jayme Lemke. 2013. “Riding in Cars with Boys: Elinor Ostrom's Adventures with Police.” Journal of Institutional Economics 9(4) (December): 407–25.
- Digital Library of the Commons (DLC) (http://dlc.dlib.indiana.edu/dlc/) is a gateway to the international literature on the commons that provides free and open access to full-text articles, papers, and dissertations.
- “Do You Believe in Sharing?” (a story about Garrett Hardin and Elinor Ostrom), by Tim Harford, Financial Times, August 30, 2013.
- International Journal of the Commons (2011), Special issue, “The 20th Anniversary of Elinor Ostrom’s ‘Governing the Commons,’ Part 1 and Part 2.”
- Ostrom, Elinor. 1990. Governing the Commons: The Evolution of Institutions for Collective Action. New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Parks, Roger B., et al. 1981. "Consumers as Coproducers of Public Services: Some Economic and Institutional Considerations." Policy Studies Journal 9(7): 1001–1011.
- “Preventing the Tragedy of the Commons,” IU International (Fall 2009): 29–32.
- “Common Sense and Common-Pool Resources,” by Mari Jensen, Bioscience 50(8) (Aug 2000): 638–44.
- Tragedy of the Commons Bibliography, http://www.indiana.edu/~workshop/wsl/tragedy.php.
Books/Monographs of the Ostroms’ Work
- McGinnis, Michael, ed., Polycentric Governance and Development (1999); Polycentricity and Local Public Economies (1999); and Polycentric Games and Institutions (2000): Readings from the Workshop in Political Theory and Policy Analysis. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- Ostrom, Vincent. 2011 & 2012. The Quest to Understand Human Affairs, volume 1 and volume 2. Edited by Barbara Allen. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Sabetti, Filippo, and Paul Dragos Aligica, eds. 2014. Choice, Rules and Collective Action: The Ostroms on the Study of Institutions and Governance. Colchester, UK: University of Essex, European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) Press.
- Sabetti, Filippo, Barbara Allen, and Mark Sproule-Jones, eds. 2009. The Practice of Constitutional Development: Vincent Ostrom’s Quest to Understand Human Affairs. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Sproule-Jones, Mark, Barbara Allen, and Filippo Sabetti, eds. 2008. The Struggle to Constitute and Sustain Productive Orders: Vincent Ostrom’s Quest to Understand Human Affairs. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- Wall, Derek. 2014. The Sustainable Economics of Elinor Ostrom: Commons, Contestation and Craft. New York: Routledge.