High School Nomination Process
Schools are encouraged to nominate students who have:
- Shown exceptional qualities of character and leadership
- Been significantly involved in extracurricular activities
- Demonstrated a concern for their community
- Excelled in terms of class rank, grade point average, and performance on standardized tests
In the past, successful nominees have typically:
- Ranked in the top 5 percent of their class
- Compiled a GPA of 3.9 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Scored 1400 or higher on the combined SAT Critical Reading and Mathematics tests, or 32 (composite) or higher on the ACT
- Shown a pattern of serious commitment to one or more activities outside of class
Calendar for the High School Nomination Process
Early August: Nomination packets are mailed to all high schools eligible to nominate for the Wells. Nominating high schools that have not received their nomination materials by mid-August should contact the Wells Scholars Program immediately to request another packet.
October 1: Deadline for receipt of fully completed electronic nomination(s) from eligible high schools. Complete nominations, which must include all required items, should be submitted electronically through https://wellsscholarship.indiana.edu.
November 1: To be eligible for other opportunities at IU Bloomington, students should apply for admission to IU Bloomington as soon as possible, November 1 at the latest. For additional information, including IU deadlines, visit the sites for IUB’s Office of Admissions and Office of Scholarships. You can find IUB freshman application materials here
Mid-November: Approximately 50 finalists are selected for interviews; all nominees are notified of their status.
First weekend in December: Required interviews of finalists at IU Bloomington.
Late December: Notification of status mailed to each finalist. Eighteen to 22 Wells Scholars will be selected from the finalist group.
Mid-April: Deadline for accepting Wells Scholarship.
June: New student advising and registration at IU Bloomington.
Late August: Welcome reception for new Wells Scholars; IU Welcome Week.