Office of Admissions Nomination Process
Students with an outstanding record of accomplishment who are home schooled or who attend a high school that is not eligible to nominate candidates for the Wells Scholarship may be considered for nomination by the IU Bloomington Office of Admissions. (The Office of Admissions is not able to nominate students who attend, or have graduated from, high schools that are eligible to nominate candidates.)
High school seniors seeking freshman admission to IU Bloomington for Fall 2015 who are academically outstanding (eligible for admission to the Hutton Honors College) and who wish to be considered for nomination for the Wells Scholarship by the Office of Admissions should submit the following materials directly to the Office of Admissions. (These materials should not be sent to the Wells Scholars Program. Doing so could delay or prevent, if the deadline is missed, consideration of a student's candidacy.) All items must be received by the Office of Admissions on or before Saturday, September 20, 2014.
- Completed application for Admission to IU Bloomington (either online or paper application) with required supporting academic documents (official high school transcript to be sent by high school in sealed envelope or electronically; SAT or ACT scores to be sent directly to IU from the testing agencies) and application fee
- A packet of the following additional items sent to:
Office of Admissions
300 North Jordan Avenue
Bloomington, IN 47405
- Wells Scholarship Nomination Cover Sheet (PDF)
- Cover letter requesting consideration for nomination for the Wells Scholarship and describing the student’s academic interest(s) (300-500 words)
- One letter of recommendation from a teacher who has taught the student in an academic class, enclosed by the recommender in a sealed envelope, signed across the seal
- A resume listing significant honors, extracurricular activities, and/or community involvement
For IU Bloomington freshman admission application materials, visit http://www.indiana.edu/~iuadmit/apply/freshmen/apply.shtml.
Students who are nominated by the Office of Admissions will be contacted by the Wells Scholars Program in early October with additional information about the selection process and a request to submit additional items by a late October deadline.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: International students who wish to be considered for the Wells Scholarship should submit their admission application materials through the process detailed by the Office of International Services, but all other materials for the Wells Scholarship application process should be submitted to Cindy Wise in the Office of Admissions as noted above in Item 2.
Calendar for Office of Admissions Nomination Process
September 20: Deadline for application for admission to IU Bloomington and submission of additional required materials as described above.
Early October: Wells Scholars Program will contact Admissions nominees with request for additional materials.
Late October: “Received by” deadline for submitting the requested additional details.
Mid-November: Approximately 50 finalists are selected for interviews; all nominees are notified of their status.
First weekend in December: Required interviews of finalists at IU Bloomington.
Late December: Notification of status mailed to each finalist. Eighteen to 22 Wells Scholars will be selected from the finalist group.
Mid-April: Deadline for accepting Wells Scholarship.
June: New student advising and registration at IU Bloomington.
Late August: Welcome reception for new Wells Scholars; IU Welcome Week.