Using Sakai 2.8 Tests & Quizzes, what assessment settings are available?
To reach the "Settings" page for an assessment:
- From the menubar of the appropriate site, click
Tests & Quizzes.
- On the "Assessments" page, click
--Select Action--next to the title of the assessment and choose
Settings. Click the black arrow for a type of setting to see the options.
Note: Altering the settings for one assessment does not impact the settings of other assessments you created. Altering the options in the settings for an assessment does not impact any other options.
The settings available depend on whether or not your assessment is published; see Settings for published assessments below. They may also depend on what Assessment Type you are using. The default Assessment Type does not include all possible settings.
If you wish to include more settings than you see available for an unpublished assessment, you will need to create and edit a new Assessment Type; see Adding, editing, or deleting an Assessment Type.
Following is a list of all possible settings:
Assessment Type Information: If you chose to base
your assessment on an existing custom template, its title, author(s),
and a brief description will automatically display here.
Assessment Introduction: Specify the title and
author(s) of an assessment, add an attachment to the assessment, and
add a description of, or introduction to, the assessment. The
assessment's creator is also listed, but you cannot modify this
Delivery Dates: Specify when
(date and time) an assessment will be made available, when it will be
due, and when it will be retracted. To set the dates and times, click
the calendar icon next to each field.
Assessment Released To: Choose to release the
assessment to anonymous users, restrict its availability to only
site members, or restrict its availability to only selected groups.
Note: If you release an assessment to anonymous users, you must distribute its URL to participants; it will not be accessible from within your site's Tests & Quizzes tool. Note the URL while publishing the assessment (see Publishing an assessment), or if the assessment is already published, go to the settings page of the version located under "Published Assessments" (not the copy under "Pending Assessments"), click to expand the
Assessment Released Tosection, and copy the URL shown there.
High Security: You can do either or both of the following:
- Create a unique username and password combination (both fields are required) that all students use to access the test.
- Specify that only certain IP addresses can access your assessment. An asterisk ( * ) can stand for any single subnet to represent a range of IP addresses, e.g., 171.64.139.* or 171.64.*.* .
Timed Assessment: You can specify the amount of
time allowed. This option will cause all student attempts at the
assessment to be submitted automatically when the time is up.
Assessment Organization: Govern the appearance
and behavior of your assessment. The following options are
Navigation: Choose from the following:
Linear access:Limits users to progressing forward through an assessment without access to the table of contents.
Random access:Allows users to move from question to question throughout the assessment using either the
Nextbuttons, or the table of contents.
- Question Layout: Choose to display each question on a separate web page, each part on a separate web page, or the complete assessment on one web page.
- Numbering: Choose continuous numbering throughout all parts of the assessment, or choose to restart numbering with each part.
- Navigation: Choose from the following:
Mark for Review: Enabling the
Mark for Reviewoption adds a checkbox labeled
Mark for Reviewunder every question in an assessment. Students can check the boxes to mark questions they would like to return to before submitting the assessment. This feature is not available when the assessment is configured for linear access.
Submissions: Specify how many
submissions you'll allow, and use the "Late Handling" option to
indicate whether or not you'll accept submissions after the due date
(see Delivery Dates above for information on the
Due Date option). If you choose to accept late submissions, such
submissions will be flagged during grading.
Submission Message: Type a message or specify a
URL to be delivered to the user upon submission.
Feedback Authoring: Choose from the following:
Question-Level Feedback:Allows feedback based on question regardless of the answer
Selection-Level Feedback:Allows feedback based on the answer given (i.e., different answers depending on which selection the student chose)
Both:Allows you to use both types of feedback
Feedback Delivery: Choose from the following:
Immediate Feedback(i.e., while taking the assessment)
Feedback on submission
No Feedback will be displayed to the student(Overrides other options, and suppresses all feedback and scores)
Feedback will be displayed to the student at a specific date(Click the calendar icon to specify the date.)
Note: You should not use the Immediate Feedback setting in Tests & Quizzes when assessing learning, as it may provide information students can use to correct their answers before submitting a test.
When providing feedback, you have the option to show students only their assessment scores, or the assessment questions plus any of the following feedback components:
Student's Assessment Scores
Student's Question and Part Scores
Statistics and Histograms
If you choose to release any of the items listed above, the tool will also release questions to students. To prevent students from seeing the questions but allow them to see their scores, choose
Only Release Student's Assessment Scores (questions not shown). You cannot release other feedback if you select this option; students will see only the total score for the assessment.
- Feedback Authoring: Choose from the following:
Students' Identities: Choose from the following:
Students' identities can be seen by graders
Anonymous grading only
Gradebook Options: Choose from the following:
Grades sent to Gradebook:Creates a new item in the Gradebook
Recorded Score If Multiple Submissions per User:
Choose from the following:
Record the highest score
Record the last score
- Students' Identities: Choose from the following:
Graphics: Change the appearance of your
- Click the palette icon next to the "Background Color" field to
open the color picker. From the drop-down list, select the palette
you'd like to use (
Web Safe Palette,
Windows System Palette, or
Grey Scale Palette), and then click the color you want to use for your assessment's background color. The hexadecimal value representing your color will automatically populate the "Background Color" field.
- In the "Background Image" field, you can type the URL of an image file to be used as the background image. If the image is smaller than the screen, it will be tiled in the display.
- Click the palette icon next to the "Background Color" field to open the color picker. From the drop-down list, select the palette you'd like to use (
- Metadata: Specify keywords, objectives, and rubrics to facilitate searches for and categorization of your assessment. You can also collect metadata for questions.
To save the settings for an assessment, click
at the bottom of the page.
Note: An assessment must contain at least one question in order to be published.
Settings for published assessments
You can modify the settings, parts, and questions of any assessment listed under "Pending Assessments". When you publish an assessment, a copy is created and listed under "Published Assessments". For the published copy, you can make changes to all the settings except "Assessment Released To".
Note: After you've published an assessment, if you modify the unpublished version under "Pending Assessments", you'll have to alter the assessment's name before republishing it. When you publish it, you'll be creating another copy under "Published Assessments", not replacing the existing published copy.
Also, if you modify the settings of a test while students are taking it, the changes will not affect testing sessions in progress. Students must exit the test and re-enter it in order to have the modified settings take effect.
- Using Sakai 2.8 Tests & Quizzes, how can I create questions for my assessment?
- Using Sakai 2.8 Tests & Quizzes, what modifications can I make to an existing assessment?
- Using Sakai 2.8 Tests & Quizzes, how do I retract an assessment?
- Using Sakai 2.8 Tests & Quizzes, how do I preview an assessment?
- Using Sakai 2.8 Tests & Quizzes, how do I create a new assessment?
- Using Sakai 2.8 Tests & Quizzes, how do I add, edit, move, copy, or remove a question pool?
- Using Sakai 2.8 Tests & Quizzes, how can I share my question pool with another instructor?
- Sakai 2.8 Tests & Quizzes: Overview
- Using Sakai 2.8 Tests & Quizzes, what types of questions are available for assessments?